This can have several harmful effects:
– The research institutions operate in too much of a ‘technology push’ model, rather than trying to understand and address the needs of businesses & industries
– There may be a mismatch in the way in which we do business – for example, in relation to time-cycles, IP, project management) – resulting in a reluctance to engage.
– We may misjudge what businesses want from universities – pushing (say) IP licenses when the business needs new insights and access to expertise.
Interestingly, this concern is voiced by both the research institutes (who understand that a good knowledge of these drivers enables them to act proactively) and the industry (who sometimes perceives a too low level of affinity of the researchers with their business).’
During our Fall Seminar 2007, ASTP hopes to stimulate a more broad-based, ‘intimate’ and open discussion between technology-intensive businesses and technology transfer managers. We have set up an entire track with five different sessions, each devoted exclusively to one industry segment (medical technologies, telecommunications, healthcare and consumer products, information technology, and food industry).
A second track focuses on the transaction itself. Here experts from both sides tell us about there experiences on how it is to actually do the transaction.
This time the first track is entirely dedicated to Drafting Agreements. Experts from across Europe will enlighten us on the essences of CDA’s & MTA’s, Research Agreements, Clinical Trials etc.
All illuminated by plenary sessions that set a new framework of our interaction with industry.
The program is finalized, please click here for the brochure
* Social Program : We start the Fall Seminar on Wednesday afternoon the 17th of October with an optional tour to VEGA and the historic centre of Venice. First we visit the Science and Technology Park VEGA, where we will enjoy a presentation on the park as well as a guided tour through the laboratories of the main building. We continue the social program with a guided tour through Venice, where we visit such sites as the Rialto bridge and the Piazza of San Marco and end at the Casinò di Venezia.
* Welcome Cocktail : Directly after the social program, we invite all the Fall Seminar delegates to a welcome cocktail kindly offered by the Casinò di Venezia. Opened in 1638, the Casinò di Venezia has always been a centre of international attraction. The cocktail starts at 18.00 and ends around 19.30.
* Joint Dinner: Our traditional joint dinner will take place on Thursday evening, the 18th of October, in the historic centre of Venice. Details will be provided soon.
VEGA, the VEnice GAteway for Science and Technology, is the Venice City of Technology and Innovation, linking Universities, Centres of Excellence and the manufacturing sector in order to sharpen the competitive edge of the companies in national and international markets. VEGA lies within the lagoon ecosystem and it is linked to the sites of Venice University, lies close to an extensive industrial zone and is right at the economic heart of the North- East of Italy extending to the metropolitan area of Regione Veneto. The venue is only 15 minutes by car from Venice Marco Polo International
Airport and 15 minutes by car from the historic centre of Venice. We will arrange daily transport from the suggested hotels to the venue.
We have arranged a special hotel reduction at: NH Laguna Palace****, € 170,- per night per double room for single use (minimum 2 nights), www.nh-hotels.com; tel. +39 041 829 60 05
Hotel Russott****, € 119,- per night, double room for single use, www.russotthotels.com; tel. +39 041 531 05 00
Hotel Elite***, € 79,- per night per double for single use, www.elitehotel.it; tel. + 39 041 5330740
Hotel Centrale***, € 80-85 per night per double for single use, www.hotelcentralevenice.com; tel. +39 041 985500
Please note that the rooms are upon availability and including breakfast. October is a very busy month for Venice, thus we strongly advise you to make a booking as soon as possible! Don’t forget to refer to the ASTP Fall Seminar when arranging your hotel accommodation. We will only arrange transport to the venue from these hotels, but you are of course free to choose another hotel, for instance in the historic centre of Venice. Please note that in that case you will have to arrange your own transport to the venue, which is located on the Venice mainland, 15 minutes by car from Venice.
If you wish to sign up for the ASTP Fall Seminar, please download the Registration Form (will be available soon) and fax the signed version to ASTP (details stated on the form). The fee for ASTP members is € 795,- (excl. VAT) and for non members € 1095,- (excl. VAT).
We would like to refer to our Conference Manager, Mr Alexander Peters (email@example.com or phone + 31 70 392 63 74) in case you have any logistical questions. For all other questions, we kindly ask you to contact the ASTP headquarters (firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone + 31 70 392 63 74).
If you are interested in attending this event as an ASTP member but you aren’t a member yet, you can apply for the membership by faxing the Membership Application Form to ASTP (fax.+ 31 70 392 63 75).
Online registration for this event is possible: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/64584173.
Please note that the fees already include 19% VAT and 5% credit card charge.