Full study abroad popular with U.S. students

Nieuws | de redactie
27 februari 2012 | Over 43,000 U.S. citizens are following full degree courses abroad, a recent study shows. Most of them opt for master programs in Anglophone countries. Humanities, social sciences and business studies are especially demanded.

The U.S. student loan market has been growing rapidly driven by widespread tuitionfee hikes at both public and private universities. This gives anextra incentive to students who consider getting a degree abroad. Anew study by the Institute of InternationalEducation (IIE) surveyed 13 countries indicating thatthere are currently over 43,000 American citizens pursuing fulldegrees abroad.

Master degrees are most popular (44%), followed by Bachelor(39%) and doctoral programs (17%). The majority of U.S. studentschooses to study in the U.K. (16,185). Germany and France are nextin line representing 3,826 and 3,356 students respectively.

Language crucial factor

The authors of the report underline that language is a bigfactor in this context. 72% of all Americans pursuing a full degreeabroad study in Anglophone countries. The other 28% mostly offerEnglish taught courses. Remarkable here is that the Netherlands hasa relatively market high share of 4% (over 1,700 students) which iscomparable to countries like China and New Zealand (also 4%).

Regarding study choice, it is apparent that most Americans areopting for studies in humanities, social sciences or business.According to the report data, 59% of all students specialized inone of these subjects. STEM courses (sciences, technology,engineering, mathematics), by contrast, accounted for 20%.

Schrijf je in voor onze nieuwsbrief
ScienceGuide is bij wet verplicht je toestemming te vragen voor het gebruik van cookies.
Lees hier over ons cookiebeleid en klik op OK om akkoord te gaan