The Roadmap that was developed in collaboration with the expert group ‘Science 2.0/Open Science’ was approved by the Council of the European Universities Assocation (EUA) today. It is supposed to be the first in a series of initiatives that EUA plans to develop to address the implications of Open Science for European universities.
The EUA has a long-term vision to support its members in the transition towards Open Science, also formally endorsed at the 29 January meeting. The Roadmap is the main part of this vision. In this context EUA will tackle, progressively, all the main issues at stake, including research assessment and researchers’ career development, the quality of publications, text and data mining (TDM), copyright, data protection and infrastructure.
The Roadmap on Open Access to Research Publications focuses primarily on the following areas:
• Fostering structured dialogue among all stakeholders;
• Promoting and supporting the adoption of OA policies, infrastructures and initiatives by European universities;
• Encouraging the development and establishment of advanced scientific recognition and research assessment systems;
• Addressing intellectual property rights and copyright policies for various outputs;
• Considering alternative and sustainable OA business models;
• Promoting access, use and sharing of research publications and data, including TDM;
• Encouraging, supporting and eventually monitoring the establishment of comprehensive standards for institutional OA policies concerning research publications and teaching materials.
The EUA Open Access Roadmap to Research Publications comes at a crucial time as there is currently a strong political push towards OA. Just last week, EU ministers responsible for research assembled in an informal meeting in Amsterdam with European Commissioner Carlos Moedas to discuss research issues, including OA. This topic will continue to be high on the European political agenda as the EU Dutch Presidency has identified OA as one of its priority areas.
The roadmap can be found here
Oplossing voor eigen valkuil heeft rolling grants-fonds nog niet
Integriteitsonderzoek relateert bedenkelijke onderzoekspraktijken aan universitair werkklimaat
Kwaliteit van arbeid en hoger onderwijs ontbreken in maatschappelijke dienstverlening
Schrikbarend veel misbruik van ADHD-medicatie onder Nederlandse studenten